- 250g Root One Penne
- 1/2 Medium White Onion
- 250-300g Trumpet or Oyster Mushrooms
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- 1 Garlic Bulb
- 1/2 Fresh Red Chilli
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 20g Fresh Sage
- 10g Fresh Parsley
- Zest of a Medium Orange
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 15ml Soy Cream
- Tablespoon of Rapeseed Oil
- Salt and Pepper
I try to use rapeseed oil whenever possible, it's really easy to get ahold of as it's usually what supermarket own-brand 'Vegetable Oil' is made of - just check the label. It's packed with 10 times more healthy Omega-3 fatty acids than Olive Oil!
|of which sugar||7.69|
- Preheat the oven to 220C (Fan 200).
- Cut the mushrooms in half lengthways, then pop on a baking tray and into the oven until soft and brown (about 30 minutes).
- Finely dice the onion and slice the fennel and start to cook in a pan over a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Chop the garlic, chilli and herbs (not the parsley) and add to the pan with the onion and fennel. Cook for a further 5 - 10 minutes until the onion is soft and starting to brown before adding the orange zest.
- Dissolve your stock cube in a glass of water and add to the pan. Mix well and allow to boil before adding the chopped tomatoes and soy cream.
- Fill the empty tomato tin about half way with water, give a shake to loosen any remaining tomato and add to the pan too.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Once the mushrooms are looking nice and soft, remove from the oven and allow to cool until you can handle them.
- Using a fork, pull the mushrooms apart. I find it easiest going from stem to tip first, then back the other way to make sure they come apart. Don't be afraid to really get into this! You want the mushrooms to resemble something like pulled pork when you are finished.
- Once the mushrooms are all torn apart add them to the pan and continue to reduce the sauce down over a low heat as you cook the pasta.
- Chop and add the parsley to the ragu'.
- Bring a pot of at least 2.5 litres of water to the boil, reduce to a simmer, then add the Root One Penne and cook for 6 minutes.
- If needed, use some of the pasta water to loosen the sauce. You want it to be able to coat the pasta.
- Strain & rinse the pasta, then mix in with the mushroom ragu' and serve!