For the Pesto:
- 75g Toasted Pine Nuts
- 200g Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Oil
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 15g Fresh Basil
- 75-100ml Good Quality Olive Oil
- 20g Vegetarian Hard Italian Cheese
- 1 Garlic Clove (peeled)
- Salt & Pepper
- 250g Root One Penne
- 30g Fresh Basil
- 150g Cavolo Nero
- One Pack of Cherry Tomatoes (250-300g)
You'll need a blender (or a pestle and mortar if you're feeling old school!) to make the pesto. To make this Vegan swap the cheese for about 15g more pine nuts and you may need to add more oil if the consistency is too thick.
I find that I usually have pesto left over from this recipe - it'll keep for a week in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Put all of the ingredients for the Pesto in a blender and whizz together till reasonably smooth ( you still want it to retain a bit of texture ). Add more oil if if the pesto looks a bit solid. Taste and set to one side.
- Bring a pot of at least 2ltrs of salted water to a boil, then add the pasta and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 6-7 minutes and the strain (make sure you reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water) and rinse.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, finely dice the cavolo nero and halve the tomatoes before adding to the pan with oil and frying over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Once the cavolo nero has wilted down a bit, tear the basil leaves and add to the pan and give a good stir.
- Add the pesto and a splash of pasta water to the pan, mix well and then add the pasta.
- Stir well until all the pasta is coated with the pesto (the cavolo nero may clump together a bit so make sure you've separated it) Add more pasta water if needed to loosen up the pesto. Taste, season and serve!