- 125g Root One Penne
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 150g Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Red Chilli
- 40g Vegetarian Hard Italian Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Miso Paste
Traditional sugo all’amatriciana is made with guanciale but as this is vegetarian I’m leaving this out and trying to replicate that umami flavour with mushrooms and miso paste.
- Dice the mushrooms and finely slice the chill.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on a high heat and then add the mushrooms, fry for a couple of minutes before adding the chilli.
- Fry for another minute or until the mushrooms are nicely brown and then add the chopped tomatoes and the Miso paste, season well and then turn the heat down to low to reduce to a simmer ( add more water if the mixture become too thick and dry )
- Bring a well salted pot of at least 1ltr of water to the boil and then add the Penne, cook for 5-6 minutes (until not quite cooked) Reserve some of the pasta cooking water.
- Strain and rinse, then add to the pan with the tomato and mushroom with about ¼ of cup of the pasta water
- Turn the heat up and add the cheese and cook for a further 1 minute (or until the pasta is cooked al dente and the sauce has thickened slightly)
- Remove from the heat and serve.